Saturday, April 05, 2008

Two Good to be True!

Just after my friends Val and Kate left town I was graced by another visitor. My friend and Dark Horse girl Andrea was in town for work. We were able to meet up for Dinner this week. Here she is in front of Rock Bottom Brewery.



This morning I dragged myself out of bed at 6:30am to a text message from Scott telling me to get up and join him at the xXx team ride. Little did he know that I had everything all laid out and had every intention of making the ride. So I left him hangin' on the text, knowing he'd think I would bail. Oh the games we play..

Waiting at Pratt rd.



Riding up Damen I ran into a group of stragglers headed for the Pratt rd meeting spot. There were about 15 in this group. When we got to Pratt rd. there were about 20 more waiting. This was going to be a big group!

In all there were about 70 out this morning. Not surprising given the sun and promised temps in the 60s by midday.

It was a slow ride up to Highland Park. Lots of yo-yoing due to the large group. What little hills we have here in Chicagoland seemed to especially give us fits. Scott and I opted to join the group headed right back to Chicago. I need miles, but I also need to clean my apt.!

The pace back was much better.. about 22-23mph. I was on the front with my teammate Mike, another mtb'er, when a sprint started for a county sign or some other nonsense. Suddenly I was beset by stomach cramps. No really, my stomach hurt, and riders just started riffling by me on both sides. I was able to regroup when we pulled into Winnetka, but I was still in bad shape. Soon I was off the back again, and caught out at a light. I had to work my tail off to get back on just as we pulled into Evanston. Finally my stomach started to calm down, and so did the pace.. I'm not sure what the problem was. I ate plenty for the effort, and was already through one water bottle in just over an hour.

The rest of the ride was pretty much without incident. I ended up with 45 miles in about 2:40.. Would have been faster if not for the large group on the way out.

Tomorrow it's off to the Prarie Path with a couple other MTB'ers for more miles! Do The Rock mountain bike race is just 2 weeks away!!

----------------
Now playing: The Postal Service - We Will Become Silhouettes
via FoxyTunes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->