Monday, June 12, 2006

Ahhhhhhh

Now I remember what started it all.

Sunday, on my way home from Chicago, I made a stop at Ft. Custer State Rec Area.. It was a BEAUTIFUL day! 70 degress, sunny, nice breeze... You couldn't ask for more in a day to ride.

This ride really helped me remember how it is I got started in mountain biking in the first place, some 14-15 years ago..

I can't explain it, but I know we've all felt it. That shit-eating grin as you ride whoops up and down, go high into banked turns, and hear the wind in your ears as you sail down a sandy hill, fingers tensed on the brakes, unable to decide whether it would be worse to grab too much brake and endo into the sand, or let loose and spend 20 minutes picking yourself out of that bush at the bottom of the hill.. :D

I rode hard, I enjoyed the scenery, I had fun. But most of all I rode for myself. Not to train for the next race. Not for a girl. Not for recognition. I rode because it had been too long since I'd been on my bike, and even longer since I'd been on my bike to ride at my pace, at my favorite trail, on my terms.

I highly recommend it.

Does this mean that racing has taken over, the way that I promised I wouldn't let it? Maybe. Maybe I should forget the CPS, forget the Michigan TT series. Race the fun races. Leave the local races to the racer boys. Keep the weekends for myself. Maybe.

Afterall, I've accomplished my goals for this year. Now I've got biggers goals, some that *gasp* don't involve mountain biking. Perhaps it's time to give them some attention.

By no means does this mean I'll stop mountain biking. But maybe it's time I go back to riding for myself.

Then again, maybe I'm just tired. ;)

soup

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They call that soul riding... its the best :)

14/6/06 1:22 PM  
Blogger Soupy said...

yes, yes it is.. Maybe I'll even go back to riding in jeans and vans... :D

14/6/06 4:43 PM  
Blogger Soupy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

14/6/06 4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->