Sunday, May 14, 2006

Where to begin?

Get a cup of coffee, this is a long one.

They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words.. So, feast your eyes on the 12 Hours of Addison..

Rain for 3 days prior to the race lead to what could only be described as "challenging" race conditions.

Prior to the start of the race, I had a goal of 20+ laps. After my first lap, I just hoped each time to be able to get back on my bike.

The mud was unbelievable. it was 6-8 inches deep in some spots. It caked onto every surface until it felt like you were trying to pedal a steamroller! I swear you could get off your bike and it would stand upright on it's own.

The trail was constantly littered with racers who had stopped to dip their bike in a lake, or scrape off pounds of mud because their wheels simply wouldn't turn any more.

And you know what?

It was a BLAST!! I loved every minute of it (yeah, well, almost every minute.. ;)

I can't lie. It was a battle just to get myself to get back on the trail after each lap. But, when taken on the whole, I had a great time. It was cold, wet, and the trail was pretty much un-rideable in some sections, and not a whole lot of fun in the rest.

But each time I managed to throw my leg over that bastard, and started to pedal down the shoot, just hearing all the other fantastic folks out there suffering through the same wonderful day made it all worthwhile. =]

After my first two laps with a 36x17 gearing, I decided I'd never make it in that high a gear with the mud. So I swapped bikes for a lap while Jay put my 34t Surly ring on my Hooligan. So I started my 4th lap on my Hooligan with the 34t mounted about a mile and a half in, I did this to my "bullet proof" Surly ring... :eyes rolling:

After walking back out, I had to put the 36t back on, and struggle through another lap. Luckily my dad who came by to support had his bike, which just happened to have a 34t Salsa middle ring. Sweeeet. So another pit stop and I was on my way.

I managed another couple laps without issue. Lap 7 started much like the rest.. Then, again, about a mile and half in, I attempted to start from one my my frequent dismounts :blush: and, "swoosh".. I push the pedal, but the wheel doesn't turn. I look down and all is in place, but I now seem to have a two way free wheel. =[

I was ready to call it a night. So I walked out about 4 miles.. Took 45 minutes. But the lap counted!! But when I found out I was sitting 4th with still about 4 hours of racing left, I decided I could use an insurance lap or two. Andy B to the rescue. I borrowed Andy's rear wheel, and managed another 3 laps!! It was good enough to move me up to 3rd!

I'll update more about how the rest of the Cycletherapy guys did in my next post. Now it's late, I'm tired, and I'm sure you stopped reading 10 minutes ago..

I luv mud!




Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good read soupy

16/5/06 6:32 AM  
Blogger soupy said...

Thanks, Anonymous...

16/5/06 9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home