Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Unexpected DIRT!

(No, I'm not talking about you, Nick..)

So I decided I HAD to get on the bike today. I'm starting to feel fat and lazy, and I don't like it.

I'm done with the lake front trail, so I need a new ride I can do when I can only get an hour or so in. Theres the Forest Preserve path that follows the Chicago River North Branch, but that's a long road ride to get to, and not really a relaxing ride. However, there's "proposed" trail from my neighborhood via path and side streets to get there as well. I didn't know if there was any path in place, but a friend has said she's ridden it on her cross bike, so I figured I'd go exploring.

The first couple miles were short sections of paved park path and some side streets, but then at Gompers park I found a wood chip trail that led down to the river and through a gate and suddenly I was on honest to goodness DIRT! With rocks and roots and everything!

While this was no Potowatami (or Island Lake for that matter) it was the closest I've seen to trail in weeks. And it was a chance for me to carve some turns and sprint the legs without 100 other people around. There was event the modest climb now and again. The trail was broken up by RR tracks every mile or so, but it was fun none-the-less. And I can get there without driving!!

So, I guess I've been good and that was my reward. I guess Santa really is keeping a list!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->