Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Long time gone

Well, if anyone is left checking this blog, I'm back!

It's been a crazy couple of weeks. I've been interviewing for a new job, as it's no secret that I was ready to move on.

Last week I was offered, and accepted the job. I'll be a regional consultant for GM service departments. The craziness comes in that fact that I'll be based out of Chicago, IL.

I've changed jobs plenty of times, but never relocated for a job. I'm excited about moving to Chicago, but there's a lot of complication along the way. First and foremost is the fact that the job requires too much travel for me to be able to keep my dog Nero. I love Nero dearly, but I guess I've known all along that I'm not the kind of pet owner that is going to spend ungodly amounts of money on procedures for a pet, or prevent myself from taking a great professional opportunity. I guess some people can't understand that, and so they have not qualms about making me feel like I'm an absolutely horrid person for abandoning my dog.

I certainly did not adopt Nero 2 years ago with the intention of ever giving him up. But I learned in that time that I'm really not the ideal pet owner, either. As much as I know Nero and I have formed a bond, I really think he'd be better off with someone who's more devoted to his needs. Of course, he could also be in a much worse situation as well. Which is why I'm trying to be very careful about where I place him, even if it's only a foster situation until a new permanent home can be found.

It's killing me thinking that I may have to leave him with a rescue agency and not a real family, but time is running out. It seems some people think I'm heartless for giving up my pet, and believe me, right now, I wish I was.

4 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

I've been there.
You're not heartless. It's a heartwrenching decision, and you're doing what's best for Nero because you care about him.

28/3/07 1:38 PM  
Blogger Deej said...

Hang in there, Nero will be fine. I had to put my little dog Jesse James to sleep last year because he didn't like my daughter. He was a healthy guy too. It sucks. Good luck on your new job! I guess you're going to be one less guy kicking my ass this year?

28/3/07 5:10 PM  
Blogger SourDad said...

Hey I've been wondering about you and Nero. Someone told me Tuesday that you found a good home for him. I was really glad to hear it.

11/5/07 11:02 PM  
Blogger Soupy said...

Yes.. I found a wonderfull home for nero with a couple and their two kids and their american bulldog, T-bone.. His new mom is a wonderful, compasionate woman. He's been with them for about a month now, and I'm hoping to go visit him soon!

13/5/07 12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->